Do you have a small dog with bad breath? You are not alone. Small dogs are more prone to bad breath than larger dogs.
But why is that? In this article, we will cover the causes of bad breath in dogs and the best ways to get rid of it.
Why Do Small Dogs Have Bad Breath?
There are many reasons why small dogs have bad breath. One reason is that their teeth are closer together, so food and bacteria can easily get trapped between them.
Small dogs are also more prone to gum disease, which can cause bad breath. Additionally, many small dogs are overweight, which can lead to bad breath due to bacteria build-up in the mouth.
What Causes Bad Breath in Dogs Besides Teeth?
There are a few things that can cause bad breath in dogs, aside from teeth. If your dog has a poor diet, they may have bad breath due to digestive problems.
Dogs that are overweight or have a lot of gas may also have bad breath. Infections in the nose or sinuses can also cause bad breath.
What to Feed Dogs with Bad Breath
There are a few things that you can feed your dog to help improve their bad breath. One is to feed them a diet that is high in fiber. This will help to clean their teeth and gums.
You can also give them a dental chew toy to chew on. This will help to remove plaque and bacteria from their teeth. Finally, you can give them a probiotic supplement to help improve their gut health and reduce bad breath.
How to Get Rid of Dog Bad Breath Home Remedies
There are a few home remedies you can use to help get rid of your dog’s bad breath. One is to give your dog a dental chew or bone to chew on. This will help to clean their teeth and get rid of any bad bacteria that may be causing the bad breath.
You can also give your dog a probiotic supplement to help improve their gut health and reduce bad breath. Lastly, you can try using a hydrogen peroxide mouthwash to kill any bacteria in your dog’s mouth that may be causing the bad breath.
What Can I Give My Dog for Bad Breath?
There are a few things you can give your dog to help with bad breath. One is to brush their teeth regularly with a dog toothbrush and toothpaste. You can also give them dental chews or treats to help clean their teeth.
Another thing you can do is give them a raw diet or homemade diet, which will help keep their teeth clean. Lastly, you can give them probiotics to help improve their gut health and reduce bad breath.
Dog has bad breath all of a sudden
Dogs are known for their bad breath, but if your dog’s bad breath becomes suddenly worse, it could be a sign of a more serious health problem. See your veterinarian as quickly as possible to eliminate any other health issues. Brush your dog’s teeth twice a day with pet toothpaste, then rinse their mouth out.
- Give them treats that are specifically designed for bad breath prevention.
- Feed them foods that are specially formulated for dental health, like Hill’s Science Diet Dental Care Small Dog Food.
- Give your pet hard treats like carrots or apples to chew on, which will help brush their teeth.
- If you give them any canned food, try to offer it before they eat dry kibble so that their saliva can clean off the bacteria.
- Pet toothpaste is also a good option for freshening breath and fighting plaque build up on teeth and gums.
- Talk with your vet about dental problems such as inflamed gums, tooth decay or inflammation.
- Dental problems may be the root of your dog’s bad breath.
- Use a product like Petzlife Dental Chews to help fight plaque build up and freshen breath.
- Your vet can clean your dog’s teeth and advise you on further steps to take if they find dental issues.
Small dogs have bad breath for a variety of reasons. By addressing the causes of bad breath, you can help your dog breathe easier and have fresher breath.